Since the election of our 45th president, scientific facts behind climate change have come under fire. Current White House administration instructed the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to get rid of mentions of climate change from its website. Additionally, the EPA and other government offices are under a gag order which forbids employees from posting new material on agency websites, communicating on social media and more. Staunch defenders of the Earth, some national park Twitter accounts have gone rogue, defying orders from the president.
Environmental-focused organizations such as Sierra Club, NRDC, Greenpeace, Nature Conservancy and others have all vowed to fight back to protect our Earth and show scientific evidence that climate change is not an “alternative fact.”
While top environmental organizations will fight for the Earth on a national level, there are many things people can do locally at home to reduce the effects of climate change. Is your organization committed to combatting climate change? Do you want to spread the word to your employees/students/community members? Eco Promotional Products offers many products that can have a real impact on the Earth. Here are things individuals can do to help fight climate change and the eco-friendly promotional products to help the cause.
- Reduce energy use. At home and at the office, turn off lights and shut down electronics when not in use. Make the switch to energy-saving LED lights. Eco Promotional Products’ custom packaged CFL and LED bulbs and our energy saving LED nightlights are great giveaways to promote energy awareness.
- Reduce transportation use. This is possibly the number one way to reduce your carbon footprint. Walk or ride your bike instead of driving. Promote cycling to employees, students and/or community members with eco-friendly promotional products like bicycle pant straps, bike lights and water bottles.
- Reduce water usage. A very simple way to use less water is to take a shorter shower. The average American’s shower lasts 8 minutes and uses 2.2 gallons per minute. A promotional 5-minute shower timer can help save more than 4 gallons of water during every shower! Outdoor watering can also be a huge unnecessary waste of water and overwatering plants can hinder growth and even cause plants to die. Water conserving garden hose nozzles, plant moisture meters and rain gauges are all popular promotional water saving products.
- Choose green power. Get individuals thinking about alternative power sources like the sun and wind with eco-friendly promotional products like solar chargers or promotional pens shaped like wind turbines.
- Remember the three Rs. Reducing, reusing, and recycling helps conserve energy and reduces pollution and greenhouse gas emissions. Recyclable and recycled promotional products are ideal for spreading the message to waste less.
- Grow things. Pollinators like honey bees are suffering due to climate change. Plant pollinating wildflowers to attract and feed bees. Beautify your landscape with plants that are drought tolerant and require minimal watering or plant a tree which will absorb carbon dioxide and eventually provide shade. An organization’s commitment to the earth will stand out with seeded promotional products.
- Be vocal. The actions of any one individual can help fight climate change but go one step further and educate friends, family and community members.
Make every day Earth Day and choose promotional products that are kind to the Earth.